Pages

Friday, December 19, 2014

This is SAQA Europe/Middle East: Ireland (Netherlands)

Ireland
Joke Buursma


Originally from The Netherlands, I am now residing in Portlaw, Co. Waterford, Ireland.
I started quilting when I moved to Ireland in 1996.
The Dutch multicultural society has influenced my colour palette, while travelling has evoked my interest in the cultural legacies of the countries I have visited over the years. My collection of books about the cultural history of diverse countries is another source of inspiration.

Burying their children 4

My work often references a sense of place derived from places which affected me.
In the course of the last ten years I have been working on pieces alluding to the Adobe architecture in Mali (West Africa), South Africa's nature, and in other pieces to the past of Ireland, France, Spain, and Syria.

Chameleon

My work consists mainly of cotton fabrics, occasionally of silk, linen and man-made material as well.
I use a mix of commercial and self hand dyed fabrics.
In my work I apply appliqué, painting, discolouring, stamping, stencilling, piecing, and densely free-motion stitching.

Hermaphrodite 1

In the course of this year (2014) I had two solo exhibitions in the South East of Ireland.

Red Earth


If you want to see more of my work you can visit my website:

1 comment:

  1. So interesting to see your work. Very powerful images.

    ReplyDelete